Re: Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) in progress

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 09:15:02 -0400
To: Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Cc: Daniel Dardailler <danield@w3.org>, Najib Tounsi <ntounsi@emi.ac.ma>, 'WWW International' <www-international@w3.org>, W3C Offices <w3c-office-pr@w3.org>, public-i18n-core@w3.org

Martin Duerst scripsit:

> Please note that above, we are always speaking about script, not language.
> That's very important, current TLDs (both cc and g) are in the Latin script,
> mostly pretty language-agnostic or at least multi-language.

Well, in fact gTLDs are intensely English-oriented, disguised a bit by
the fact that many languages of Europe have borrowed the same Latin words
that English has (company, organization, international).  Clearly in
Vietnamese they are arbitrary neologisms.

I foresee nasty political struggles coming down the road at us here.
For example, who gets to decide the Arabic-script abbreviation of ".us",
the arabophones (355K speakers in the U.S.) or the persophones (201K
speakers in the U.S.)?

(Random fact: Chinese is now the third most widely spoken language
in the U.S., with about 2 million speakers.)

--
While staying with the Asonu, I met a man from      John Cowan
the Candensian plane, which is very much like       cowan@ccil.org