Re: Resources for testing internationalisation, Chinese / English design, and simple introductions

From: Christophe Strobbe <christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 12:22:59 +0200
To: <www-international@w3.org>

Hi Henny,

At 10:11 17/07/2007, Swan, Henny wrote:
>Could anybody point me to resources on one or more of the following or
>at least indicate if they do or don't exist:
>1. Testing for internationalisation
>Techniques, tips and common tests for checking that sites are able to
>internationalise well.
>2. Resources on web design do's and don'ts for Chinese / English
>Key things to consider both code and design wise.

I don't know of resources specific to Chinese/English websites, but
there are many general resources, such as
* "Java Inernationalization" by Andrew Deitsch and David Czarnecki
(O'Reilly, 2001; chapter 11, about "International Web Applications"
is available online; see
* "XML Internationalization and Localization" by Yves Savourel (Sams, 2001)
* other resources in the "web globaliation" (or similarly named
category) of some blogs, e.g.
- <http://www.linguisticsolutions.com/blog/index.php?cat=16>
- <http://www.globalbydesign.com/blog/category/web-globalization/>

There's also the "Chinese Computing" web site at
<http://www.chinesecomputing.com/>, but some of the information looks old.

>3. Introduction to internationalisation
>I have Richard's presentations and stuff from the W3C but wondered if
>there was anything that people would suggest beyond that.

I18Ngurus may also be useful; it has a section on testing.

I18N Guy (<http://www.i18nguy.com/index.html>) also has useful
things, but I don't know how relevant they are to your needs.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

>Many thanks in advance.
>Henny Swan