Re: How do I say 'this is not in any language' in XHTML/HTML

From: Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 14:08:41 +0900
To: Jon Hanna <jon@hackcraft.net>, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Cc: www-international@w3.org

At 23:38 07/03/22, Jon Hanna wrote:

>I agree with those who consider XHTML1.0 not allowing an empty xml:lang attribute value as obsolete (or an error? Did the first edition of the XML1.0 spec prohibit empty xml:lang?).

Yes, an empty value wasn't taken into consideration in the first
edition of XML 1.0. We only later became aware of the need, in
scenarios such as XML Signature and RDF,... where pieces of
data from various places are put together. So the XML 1.0 spec
was updated to clarify that an empty string is allowed, and what
it means.

As a consequence, nowadays, whenever I design something, I always
try about the need for 'undefined' and similar values. But my
thinking never got as detailled as the list drawn up by Asmus.

Regards,    Martin.