Re: Comment on working draft "Specifying Language in XHTML and HTML Content"

From: CE Whitehead <cewcathar@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 13:27:40 -0500
To: mark.davis@icu-project.org, ishida@w3.org
Cc: www-international@w3.org

"Use language attributes on the html tag to indicate the default
text-processing language (very important); also use HTTP headers and meta
>elements to indicate audience language(s).  See 4.2 <link>."
might be a good way to begin section 4.1

Then list the examples.

No new sections.

My problem with this draft is it takes a while and a bit of reading
(compared to other W3C info) to find out all you  need to know, when your
time online is limited.

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar@hotmail.com

>In the meantime, we recommend that you use HTTP headers and meta elements
>provide document metadata about the language of the intended audience(s),
>and language attributes on the html tag to indicate the default
>text-processing language. Furthermore, we recommend that you always declare
>the default text-processing language.
>
>Getting people to do one thing -- correctly -- is hard enough. Asking them
>to distinguish between the language of the document and that of the
>intended
>audience is way too far. Best practices should be aimed at getting the 99%
>case right, then point to a different document for the edge cases that
>won't
>matter anyway because nobody will do them correctly so they can't be relied
>on.

I think the key here is to stress getting the text processing language right
(there's also confusion for this when there is more than one);
but I do not see harm in mentioning the audience language;
The info seems clear to me.

Much of the information is more encyclopedic, like the stuff on CSS.

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar@hotmail.com