Re: For review: An Introduction to Multilingual Web Addresses

From: <shen@cse.ust.hk>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 12:15:44 +0800 (HKT)
To: "Richard Ishida" <ishida@w3.org>
Cc: "'WWW International'" <www-international@w3.org>

> http://www.w3.org/International/articles/idn-and-iri/#work
>
> Comments are being sought on the revised section of this article entitled
> "Does it work?" prior to final completion. Please send any comments to
> www-international@w3.org (subscribe). We expect to publish a final version
> in one to two weeks.

Thanks, Richard, I learned a lot about IDNs by reading this article.

However, I don't think

"The typical way of alerting the user to a possible homograph attack is to
display the URI in the address bar in punycode rather than in the original
Unicode characters."

I tried your test website; Firefox displayed Unicode, while IE7 displayed
punycode. There is no way for a lay user (or even a pro) to tell
whether punycode indicates danger. Few people can recognize whether
a possible homograph attack is taking place. I think if the sentence
starts with

"An attempt to alert the user..."

You might also add that "But most users would not be able to recognize
whether there is indeed a phishing attack."

Thanks for the good work!

-Vincent