Re: about flags and languages

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 13:19:27 -0500
To: CE Whitehead <cewcathar@hotmail.com>
Cc: cowan@ccil.org, nicolas1.krebs3@netcourrier.com, www-international@w3.org

CE Whitehead scripsit:

> what is needed is a pictorial icon;

But why?

> "English" (in English)  |||  "Francais" (in French)
>
> also would help--as the person looking for a text in a language should
> at least be able to read the language name in that language, so this.

That was Jukka Korpela's suggestion.

> the U.S.
> [which sort of still has but one],

The U.S. has no official language.  Certain states have either English (26),
English and Spanish (1), or English and Hawaiian (1) as official languages;
the remaining states (22) have no official language.

> But does this debate go here??  Or do we just look over/approve variant
> subtags and nothing else?

Umm, this is www-international, not ietf-languages.

--
A rose by any other name                            John Cowan
may smell as sweet,                                 http://www.ccil.org/~cowan