RE: [CSS3 Text] Japanese Iteration Marks

Hi Fantasai,

See below...

============
Richard Ishida
Internationalization Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)

http://www.w3.org/People/Ishida/
http://www.w3.org/International/
http://people.w3.org/rishida/blog/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ishida/

Actually, I can't find a description of line-breaking behaviour in these
WikiPedia articles.

> I am currently speccing this in CSS3 Text. What I have so far is
>
>     | If the UA breaks before a Japanese iteration mark, it
> should* replace
>     | the iteration mark the character represented by the
> iteration mark:

Perhaps you mean:
"If the UA breaks a line before a Japanese iteration mark, it should replace
the iteration mark on the new line with the characters it represents, as
follows:"

>     |   * the corresponding Han character, for IDEOGRAPHIC ITERATION
>     |     MARK (U+3005) and VERTICAL IDEOGRAPHIC ITERATION
> MARK (U+303B)
>     |   * the (appropriately-voiced) corresponding Hiragana character,
>     |     for HIRAGANA ITERATION MARK (U+309D) and HIRAGANA
> VOICED ITERATION
>     |     MARK (U+309E)
>     |   * the (appropriately-voiced) corresponding Katakana character,
>     |     for KATAKANA ITERATION MARK (U+30FD) and KATAKANA
> VOICED ITERATION
>     |     MARK (U+30FE)

What if the line break occurs after the first of three consecutive iteration
marks, eg:
????
??
Ie.
tokoroIm
ImIm

Does the first IM get converted to ? (do) as well as the others, or just the
ones on the new line?

I'm assuming that multiple Ims follow the same rule, in which case the
wording above should probably say 'before one or more Japanese iteration
marks'.

>     | A sequence of <var>N</var> iteration marks corresponds
> to the sequence
>     | of <var>N</var> characters that immediately precedes
> it. If an iteration
>     | mark does not correspond to a character of the matching
> script type,
>     | then the iteration mark must not be replaced.

Is this last rule to deal with the situation where a page is describing
iteration marks, and includes examples in the text surrounded by some type
of quote marks, or such?

RI