Hi, my comments are below; I still sort of think that there may need to be some clarification about mis and und.

>Kent Karlsson wrote:
>
> > da.xml: <language type="und">Sproget kan ikke bestemmes</language>
> > de.xml: <language type="und">Sprache nicht ermittelt</language>
> > it.xml: <language type="und">lingua imprecisata</language>
> > sv.xml: <language type="und">obestamt sprak</language>
>
>For the German version I'd say that's "language not identified".
>
> > Perhaps those ones should be retranslated not to refer to language,
> > **if** "und" may apply also to "maybe not in any language".
>
>I don't understand *_why_* anything about it should be changed.
>
>If the process to identify / determine a language failed so far,
>the final outcome can be still "no language at all", i.e. "zxx".
>
>And that's precisely what Richard needs for those cases where an
>empty string is (still) syntactically invalid, as in XHTML 1.0.

Frank,  the question for me is still: when is und recommended over "zxx"?

(I personally still want a clearer meaning for und; the meaning of zxx is clear to me)

Also I have questions about mis (miscellaneous)  (I agree with John's definition of miscellanous; that's the English definition; but there is nothing in the registry to indicate that mis refers to any collection of languages--it's just a three-letter subtag--so I have to say that what I get for mis is exactly what Mark gets,  maybe some language content; if so and if zxx means no known language content, then und may be redundant (caution:  this is an outside opinion from someone with limited programming skills).

Here's the registration for mis:

Type: language

Subtag: mis

Added: 2005-10-16

Mark Davis mark.davis@icu-project.org

> I think I agree with you in spirit, but not in precise details. The tag "und" means

> "undetermined", so when I encounter it I don't know whether the content contains > one language, many languages, or no language.

+1 that is what I get from this, too, exactly.

John Cowan http://www.ccil.org/~cowan

> I'm okay with all of this except "mis". "mis" is a collection code, as I explained, and means "languages that

> don't belong to any other collection." It is not the universal collection.

--C. E. Whitehead

cewcathar@hotmail.com

Exercise your brain! Try Flexicon.