Re: For review: Tagging text with no language

From: CE Whitehead <cewcathar@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 10:46:23 -0400
To: www-international@w3.org

>Hello Richard, Najib,
>At 07:25 07/05/19, Najib Tounsi wrote:
> >
> >Hi Richard,
> >
> >My feedback is perhaps subjective. My feeling is that, in some places,
>the text is not sufficently clear for those who don't speak English
> >
> >Anyway, here are some remarks (about
> >
> >- You write
> >"For example, xml:lang="" might be used if text is included into a
>document from a database that doesn't provide language information..."
> >It is the text or the document which is from a database? The text of
> >Should I understand this:
> >For example, xml:lang="" might be used if text is to be included into a
>document and (the text) comes from a database that doesn't provide language
>information ...?
>Very good point.

The above seems to be a good rewrite, but I do speak English so we should
wait for someone else to see what people whose English is not quite as good

> >-You write
> >"The effect would be to cancel any language information declared higher
>up the hierarchy of elements in the document."
> >What do "cancel any language" means?
> > - remove the language information declared higher up the hierarchy?
> > - override this declaration by the new one "und"? Right
> >
> >Finally the whole story (about the use of "und") is, if you can "leave
>out the markup", go ahead. Mark up only if "you have a particular need to
>indicate that the language is undefined". Right?
>I was also a bit surprised by this. It's easy to read this as
>"language tagging, so who cares?". It looks like it's quite in
>contrast to what we say on language tags otherwise.

Actually this issue of not using und normally did make me stumble the first
time I read it too; normally we say always tag.    It in fact 'overrides' or
'cancels out' the very first sentence of the answer to the "How do I mark up
. . . content" question at the top.  Here's that sentence again:

"You should always use attributes to identify the human language of the text
on the highest possible element of documents in HTML or a format based on
XML, so that applications such as voice browsers, style sheets, and the like
can process that text."

I see now Najib's comments were pretty good--
So maybe

only using und when necessary

does need a comment in the draft;
but I do think that the draft is a helpful and well-organized answer to the
question about how to mark up content.

--C. E. Whitehead

>Regards,    Martin.
>#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, Assoc. Professor, Aoyama Gakuin University

--C. E. Whitehead

Like the way Microsoft Office Outlook works? You’ll love Windows Live