Re: [Ltru] Re: "mis" update review request (from ietf-languages)

From: Addison Phillips <addison@yahoo-inc.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 00:13:05 +0100
To: Najib Tounsi <ntounsi@emi.ac.ma>
CC: CE Whitehead <cewcathar@hotmail.com>, kent.karlsson14@comhem.se, www-international@w3.org

 > In general, "?" means: I know the character code, but don't have the
 > font to display it,
 > and "the little rectangle" means: I don't recognize that character code.

Not quite. In general the "?" means that a conversion was done and the
target character encoding didn't include the character, such as when
converting Japanese ideographs encoded as Shift-JIS to ISO 8859-1
(although some browsers also display question marks when the character
code is unknown). The little rectangle means "I know the character, but
don't have a font".

Addison

--
Addison Phillips