Re: xml:base (was Re: IRI meets RDF meets HTTP redirect)

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 18:11:25 +0100
To: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
CC: semantic-web@w3.org, www-international@w3.org

Sandro Hawke wrote:
> Of course, if you *want* the base end with "résumé" you're out of luck,
> since XML Base [1] says you can only use a URI.   But at least you've
> avoided the dilemma.
>
>      -- Sandro
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlbase/

Yes I like using xml:base as much as possible.
(And I think xml:base does allow non-ASCII chars since it tells
applications how to % encode them)

But from the point of view of a software developer, I can't rely on the
content authors having added xml:base, and given increasing suggestions
that redirects are a good thing, then this problem is increasingly
likely to happen in practice.

Jeremy

--
Hewlett-Packard Limited