Re: For review: Tagging text with no language

From: Jon Hanna <jon@hackcraft.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 12:37:22 +0100
To: www-international@w3.org

Christophe Strobbe wrote:
> Then what is a screen reader (or a text-to-speech program used by a
> dyslexic
> user) supposed to do with the "zxx"?

Nothing. I think you've hit on a good test I think, if a screen-reader
can be expected to do something with it, it isn't zxx.

> Why couldn't I write XHTML code like the one below?

> <!-- ... -->
> <code xml:lang="en">
>         System.out.println("<span xml:lang="fr">bonjour le monde!</span>");
>     }
> }
> </code>

Yes, this is preferable.

I was thinking poorly about computer languages earlier, forgetting that
any language higher than machine code is for humans more than for
machines. Strictly we could consider high-level languages to be a sort
of non-linguistic data that is based on linguistic data, but until there
is a mechanism for saying, e.g. "computer-readable code based on
English" then "public static void main" is best described as "English".