Re: [Ltru] Re: For review: Tagging text with no language

From: <Karen_Broome@spe.sony.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 16:01:59 -0700
To: Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de>
Cc: ltru@lists.ietf.org, www-international@w3.org
Well, if the code section is delimited with a consistent tag, you know to
treat what's in there differently than the rest of the text. I used to
edit technical tutorials for O'Reilly, so trust me, the <code> tag and I
are old friends. On that site the code tag drives style sheets, but it is
really a semantic delimiter -- not a design element -- and can potentially
be used for a lot more. I'm a bit leery of spellcheckers for code.

But as long as the code section is delimited, you can write spellcheckers
or screenreaders that  will handle that text differently.

I did not request a SHOULD NOT with "no linguistic content." My request
was that script tags SHOULD NOT be used with linguistic *audio* content
because spoken language, by definition, is not written down. I really
don't have much use for the zxx tag.  I saw a use case that related to
und-Latn that made sense, but zxx-Latn makes no sense to me. Did I miss
that thread or is that a typo?

Karen Broome

Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de>
04/13/2007 02:33 PM

Karen_Broome@spe.sony.com wrote:
> With respect to computer language snippets, isn't that what the <code>
> tag is for -- at least in XHTML?

Yes, typically interpreted as switch to a monospaced font.  But maybe
not good enough to convince spell-checkers that they should skip this
part, or to convince screenreaders that what follows might be not in
the inherited xml:lang.

While we're at it, IIRC you wanted a SHOULD NOT about script subtags
for "no linguistic content".  Mark's list of interesting examples also
contains a "zxx" use case, and it's clearly a zxx-Latn example.

Apparently the SHOULD NOT in RFC 4646 about "und" is already dubious,
so better we don't add another shaky SHOULD NOT about scripts for "zxx".

Ltru mailing list