Re: For review: Tagging text with no language

From: Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 23:33:36 +0200
To: www-international@w3.org
Cc: ltru@lists.ietf.org

Karen_Broome@spe.sony.com wrote:

> With respect to computer language snippets, isn't that what the <code>
> tag is for -- at least in XHTML?

Yes, typically interpreted as switch to a monospaced font.  But maybe
not good enough to convince spell-checkers that they should skip this
part, or to convince screenreaders that what follows might be not in
the inherited xml:lang.

While we're at it, IIRC you wanted a SHOULD NOT about script subtags
for "no linguistic content".  Mark's list of interesting examples also
contains a "zxx" use case, and it's clearly a zxx-Latn example.

Apparently the SHOULD NOT in RFC 4646 about "und" is already dubious,
so better we don't add another shaky SHOULD NOT about scripts for "zxx".

Frank