Re: [Ltru] RE: For review: Tagging text with no language

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 00:41:02 -0400
To: Stephen Deach <sdeach@adobe.com>
Cc: Mark Davis <mark.davis@icu-project.org>, Kent Karlsson <kent.karlsson14@comhem.se>, Asmus Freytag <asmusf@ix.netcom.com>, John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>, LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>, www-international@w3.org, CLDR list <cldr@unicode.org>

Stephen Deach scripsit:

> "mis" means it is "a language but I have no better identifier for it".

Well, "a known language for which no better identifier exists".  It would
be, as I keep saying, an error to tag German ("de") or Kiowa ("nai" or
"nai-x-kio" or "nai-x-kiowa") as "mis".

> One can have a separate debate over whether "zxx" or "art" should be
> used for computer-programming languages, or whether computer-programming
> (as a group or individually) deserve their own tag(s); but that is
> not an "Internationalization" issue.

BCP 47 explicitly excludes computer languages from its scope, as do the
ISO 639 family of standards.  So "zxx" is the only available tag.

--
John Cowan  cowan@ccil.org   http://ccil.org/~cowan
It's the old, old story.  Droid meets droid.  Droid becomes chameleon.