Re: [Ltru] RE: For review: Tagging text with no language

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 00:41:02 -0400
To: Stephen Deach <sdeach@adobe.com>
Cc: Mark Davis <mark.davis@icu-project.org>, Kent Karlsson <kent.karlsson14@comhem.se>, Asmus Freytag <asmusf@ix.netcom.com>, John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>, LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>, www-international@w3.org, CLDR list <cldr@unicode.org>

Stephen Deach scripsit:

> "mis" means it is "a language but I have no better identifier for it".

Well, "a known language for which no better identifier exists".  It would
be, as I keep saying, an error to tag German ("de") or Kiowa ("nai" or
"nai-x-kio" or "nai-x-kiowa") as "mis".

> One can have a separate debate over whether "zxx" or "art" should be
> used for computer-programming languages, or whether computer-programming
> (as a group or individually) deserve their own tag(s); but that is
> not an "Internationalization" issue.

BCP 47 explicitly excludes computer languages from its scope, as do the
ISO 639 family of standards.  So "zxx" is the only available tag.

John Cowan  cowan@ccil.org   http://ccil.org/~cowan
It's the old, old story.  Droid meets droid.  Droid becomes chameleon.
Droid loses chameleon, chameleon becomes blob, droid gets blob back
again.  It's a classic tale.  --Kryten, Red Dwarf