Re: [Ltru] Re: For review: Tagging text with no language

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 00:18:05 -0400
To: CE Whitehead <cewcathar@hotmail.com>
Cc: nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de, www-international@w3.org, ltru@lists.ietf.org

CE Whitehead scripsit:

> Also I have questions about mis (miscellaneous)
> (I agree with John's definition of miscellanous; that's the English
> definition; but there is nothing in the registry to indicate
> that mis refers to any collection of languages--it's just a
> three-letter subtag--so I have to say that what I get for mis is
> exactly what Mark gets,  maybe some language content;

It comes from ISO 639-2, and when English names from 639-2 contain
"languages" or "(Other)", then they are collections.  See the normative
text at http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/normtext.html section 4.1.1.
Even though the registry doesn't contain semantics, the subtags there
inherit their semantics from the corresponding ISO codes.

--
Normally I can handle panic attacks on my own;   John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
but panic is, at the moment, a way of life.      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan