Re: [Ltru] RE: For review: Tagging text with no language

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 22:04:23 -0400
To: Mark Davis <mark.davis@icu-project.org>
Cc: Stephen Deach <sdeach@adobe.com>, Kent Karlsson <kent.karlsson14@comhem.se>, Asmus Freytag <asmusf@ix.netcom.com>, John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>, LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>, www-international@w3.org, CLDR list <cldr@unicode.org>

Mark Davis scripsit:

> I think I agree with you in spirit, but not in precise details. The
> tag "und" means "undetermined", so when I encounter it I don't know
> whether the content contains one language, many languages, or no
> language. The tag "zxx" would mean that there is no language content,
> "mis" would mean that there is at least some language content, and "mul"
> would mean that there is language content, with more than one language.

I'm okay with all of this except "mis".  "mis" is a collection code,
as I explained, and means "languages that don't belong to any other
collection."  It is not the universal collection.

--
Mark Twain on Cecil Rhodes:                    John Cowan
I admire him, I freely admit it,               http://www.ccil.org/~cowan