Re: For review: Tagging text with no language

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 17:39:12 -0400
To: Mark Davis <mark.davis@icu-project.org>
Cc: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>, CE Whitehead <cewcathar@hotmail.com>, www-international@w3.org, LTRU Working Group <ltru@ietf.org>

Mark Davis scripsit:

> Your conclusion from 639-2 I find extremely odd, since "zxx" is ALSO
> in a column that says "English name of language", so by your logic,
> "zxx" is also a language, just one with no linguistic content.

Bah.  I'll go no further with this.  My basic point remains:
whatever "und" means, "" can't mean "language is unknown", since it's
equally suitable for non-linguistic content.  XSLT documents don't
have xml:lang attributes, but if they did, "" would be a sensible value.

--
BALIN FUNDINUL          UZBAD KHAZADDUMU        cowan@ccil.org
BALIN SON OF FUNDIN     LORD OF KHAZAD-DUM      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan