Re: For review: Tagging text with no language

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 16:50:25 -0400
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Cc: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>, www-international@w3.org

Chris Lilley scripsit:

> "If the XML format you are using supports it, use xml:lang="", otherwise
> use the subtag und."
>
> The "supports it" is begging for a linked footnote that explains about
> XML 1.0 vs XML 1.1.

That turns out not to be the case.

The meaning of xml:lang="" was introduced by erratum E41 (dated
2002-09-18) between the Second and Third Editions of XML 1.0 (see
http://www.w3.org/XML/xml-V10-2e-errata#E41 ).  Even in the First
Edition, there were no constraints on the value of an xml:lang attribute;
productions 33-38, which purported to impose such constraints, were not
reachable from any other production and so were not part of the BNF.

I believe you are confusing empty language tags with empty namespace
declarations, which are indeed a feature of XML 1.1 via Namespaces 1.1.

--
How they ever reached any  conclusion at all    <cowan@ccil.org>
is starkly unknowable to the human mind.        http://www.ccil.org/~cowan