Re: For review: Tagging text with no language

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 15:47:42 -0400
To: Mark Davis <mark.davis@icu-project.org>
Cc: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>, www-international@w3.org

Mark Davis scripsit:

> We do not interpret "und" as meaning that anything is known about the
> contents, it is simply undetermined or unknown. Where do you get the
> interpretation that "und" must be linguistic?

>From the text of the passage I'm commenting on, which was probably not
written by "us", whoever "we" may be.

# When the language is undetermined
#
# You should only tag text as undetermined if you can't just leave it
# as is. If the XML format you are using supports it, use xml:lang="",
# otherwise use the subtag und.
#
# These values indicate that text is in a language of some sort, but we're
# just not sure which. This is different from 'this is not a language'.

--
If you have ever wondered if you are in hell,         John Cowan
it has been said, then you are on a well-traveled     http://www.ccil.org/~cowan