Re: For review: Tagging text with no language

From: CE Whitehead <cewcathar@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 15:31:02 -0400
To: cowan@ccil.org
Cc: www-international@w3.org

Hi, John,
Just thought I'd look at your comments--
so then I looked at the draft,
and I started wondering
could not you also turn off the existing language declaration with
"und"??
rather than with ""

So then why is it better to use "" where you could use "und"?

You cannot leave out the declaration in such a case, because of course, the
language is declared for the document as a whole and/or for higher elements
in the document hierarchy,

so what would be preferable to use lang="" or lang="und" and why?

Thanks.

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar@hotmail.com

>Richard Ishida scripsit:
>
> > http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-no-language
> >
> > Comments are being sought on this FAQ-based article prior to final
> > release. Please send any comments to www-international@w3.org. We
> > expect to publish a final version in one to two weeks.
>
>The claim that "und" and "" mean the same thing is wrong, and I apologize
>for spreading misinformation on this point.  "" is the same as no language
>declaration at all, so it is ambiguous between "zxx" (non-linguistic)
>and "und" (linguistic).  The only time it makes sense to use it is when
>you have a language declaration for a document or section thereof and wish
>to turn it off for some subsection.
>
>--
>They tried to pierce your heart                 John Cowan
>with a Morgul-knife that remains in the         http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
>wound.  If they had succeeded, you would
>become a wraith under the domination of the Dark Lord.         --Gandalf

Interest Rates Fall Again! $430,000 Mortgage for $1,399/mo - Calculate new
payment
http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-18679&moid=7581