Re: For review: Tagging text with no language

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 14:37:43 -0400
To: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Cc: www-international@w3.org

Richard Ishida scripsit:

> http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-no-language
>
> Comments are being sought on this FAQ-based article prior to final
> release. Please send any comments to www-international@w3.org. We
> expect to publish a final version in one to two weeks.

The claim that "und" and "" mean the same thing is wrong, and I apologize
for spreading misinformation on this point.  "" is the same as no language
declaration at all, so it is ambiguous between "zxx" (non-linguistic)
and "und" (linguistic).  The only time it makes sense to use it is when
you have a language declaration for a document or section thereof and wish
to turn it off for some subsection.

--
They tried to pierce your heart                 John Cowan
with a Morgul-knife that remains in the         http://www.ccil.org/~cowan