RE: Strange advice re BOM and UTF-8

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 14:51:00 -0000
To: "'Karl Dubost'" <karl@w3.org>, "'olivier Thereaux'" <ot@w3.org>
Cc: "'Chris Lilley'" <chris@w3.org>, <www-validator@w3.org>, <www-international@w3.org>

I have been meaning to update the UTF-8 tests for some time to
[1] apply the latest template
[2] rationalise and extend the tests

Given this thread, I have done that this morning.  Note that
[1] I have separated out the tests for autodetection of utf-8 into a
separate set.
[2] there is now a series of 3 pages for investigating display issues
related to bom handling - a third test has been added to test PHP includes
(which seem to cause problems for IE and Opera).

I also produced some results files as per our current template at

Karl, you might want to use these to structure the information at

Richard Ishida
Internationalization Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)