RE: Strange advice re BOM and UTF-8

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 14:51:00 -0000
To: "'Karl Dubost'" <karl@w3.org>, "'olivier Thereaux'" <ot@w3.org>
Cc: "'Chris Lilley'" <chris@w3.org>, <www-validator@w3.org>, <www-international@w3.org>

I have been meaning to update the UTF-8 tests for some time to
[1] apply the latest template
[2] rationalise and extend the tests

Given this thread, I have done that this morning.  Note that
[1] I have separated out the tests for autodetection of utf-8 into a
separate set.
[2] there is now a series of 3 pages for investigating display issues
related to bom handling - a third test has been added to test PHP includes
(which seem to cause problems for IE and Opera).

I also produced some results files as per our current template at

http://www.w3.org/International/tests/results/results-utf8-signature.php

http://www.w3.org/International/tests/results/results-utf8-recognition.php

Karl, you might want to use these to structure the information at
http://esw.w3.org/topic/QA/Utf8BomInteropReport

RI

Richard Ishida
Internationalization Lead