RE: Unicode conference papers

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 11:04:39 -0000
To: "'Mark Davis'" <mark.davis@icu-project.org>, "'Unicode'" <unicode@unicode.org>
Cc: <www-international@w3.org>

Hi Mark,

Thanks for making these available.  Would it be possible to add PDF versions of the slides?

I have a couple of questions about Unicode at Google:

1. could you explain slide 17 a little (Queries vs. pages)?   What quantity does the y axis represent in each case?

2. what is doubly-encoded utf-8?

3. Slide 20 (Charset tagging trends) seems to indicate that around 72% of HTML pages now contain encoding declarations in the meta tag.  Is that correct? (eg. Is the declaration for some pages in the xml declaration?)  That seems like a high number (though I'm not complaining).  I'm surprised that the HTTP header isn't at least as high, though, since I'd have thought that many servers are set up to serve a default encoding.  Do you have any explanation for that result?

4. It would be interesting to know what proportion of character encodings and language declarations shown are considered to be incorrect (presumably the graphs alluded to in question 3 include those).

Cheers,
RI

Richard Ishida
Internationalization Lead