plane-1 support in (java|ecma)script

From: Hugh Cayless <philomousos@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 12:03:37 -0500
To: www-international@w3.org

Does anyone know what the status is of support for plane-1 unicode
characters in ECMAScript?  There seems to be no concept of characters
greater than \uxxxx in any of the implementations I've tried
(Firefox, Safari, IE) and nothing in the ECMAScript 3 spec.  The
email address of the maintainer for the Javascript 2.0 proposal on
Mozilla's pages bounced, so I'm not sure where to go next.  I'd like
to know if there's any likelihood of support for characters in the
range \uxxxxxx anytime in the near future.

Help?

Thanks,
Hugh Cayless