Re: Java I18N

From: Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 22:17:39 +0000
To: "Addison Phillips" <addison@yahoo-inc.com>
Cc: I18N <www-international@w3.org>

On 31/10/06, Addison Phillips <addison@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
> Take a look at the _real_ definition of the language tags and xml:lang,
> which is RFC 4647.

I find it hard to keep up with the rate of change.
Thanks for the pointer.

 For a good intro, see:
>    http://www.w3.org/International/articles/language-tags/Overview.en.php
> RFC 4647 incorporates more than just the language and country codes into
> tags. One of the types of subtags is the "script" subtag. In your
> particular case, the script subtag "Brai" represents Braille.

That should cover it! I've never even heard of some of those referenced rfc's
and ISO 15924! I'll go do some more reading.

> You might very well tags English braille texts as "en-Brai". US variants
> would be "en-Brai-US". British variants would be "en-Brai-GB".

Would the Brai be necessary?
I'm unsure if it's necessary to be so accurate? I'm using
the lang and locale to pick out a braille table, which tends to be
locale specific. Is it recommended (BP) to include the Brai 'script'?

The Moon
> variation can be dealt with in two ways:
> 1. Private use code: "en-Brai-x-moon"
> 2. Registration with IANA (see RFC 4647) would allow it as a variant
> subtag, making either of these valid:

Since moon is so restricted (300 UK users) I doubt it's worthwhile
IANA registration, but I'll ask.
  Is the 'x' categorisation the same as for mime types? Sort of 'specials'?

>    en-Brai-moonw  // variants starting with a letter must be at least 5
> in length
>    en-Brai-GB-moonw

<chuckles/> Just about the opposite of cutting file names to fit
within the 8.3 limit!
5 characters minimum seems a little arbitrary?
Why make things uncecessarily long.

Many thanks Addison.

Dave Pawson