Re: bidi-override scope in CSS2 and CSS 2.1

From: Matitiahu Allouche <matial@il.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 18:11:05 +0200
To: "Richard Ishida" <ishida@w3.org>
Cc: "'Steven Pemberton'" <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>, www-international@w3.org, www-international-request@w3.org, www-style@w3.org

Here are a few comments.

Richard Ishida wrote:
[Question 5 (CSS)]
Both CSS2 and CSS2.1 say "The final order of characters in each
element is the same as if the bidi control codes had been added as
above, markup had been stripped, and the resulting character sequence had
been passed to an implementation of the Unicode bidirectional algorithm
plain text that produced the same line-breaks as the styled text."

I'm not entirely sure what the expected output of that would be...

Comment >>> I think the output would be:
txet enilni emoS
enil rehtona no txet enilne erom dna
txet fo hpargarap A
txet enilni erom emoS

Richard Ishida wrote:
As far as I'm aware, there is no
indication in CSS2, CSS2.1 or HTML 4.01 specs about default text alignment
for block elements to which directionality is assigned.

Comment >>> In HTML specs, section 15.1.2 "Alignment", we find:
The default depends on the base text direction. For left to right text,
the default is align=left, while for right to left text, the default is

Richard Ishida wrote:
[Question 7]
After all this, my assumption as a user would be that if I apply the
override CSS properties to a block level element, all of the contents of
that block element would be ordered as indicated, not just the inline
despite the fact that <bdo> was an inline element in HTML.  Do people
with that?

Comment >>> I agree.

Shalom (Regards),  Mati
           Bidi Architect
           Globalization Center Of Competency - Bidirectional Scripts
           IBM Israel