RE: [atom-syntax] Atom bidi

From: Yves Savourel <ysavourel@translate.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:52:48 -0600
To: "'James M Snell'" <jasnell@gmail.com>, "'Nicolas Krebs'" <nicolas1.krebs3@netcourrier.com>
Cc: <atom-syntax@imc.org>, <www-international@w3.org>, <public-i18n-geo@w3.org>

Hi James,

> The key challenge with using ITS in Atom
> is its complexity and scope.
> Atom simply doesn't need to do that much.

ITS is a bit like a "cafetaria plan": You take only the parts that are of interest. See the conformance clause 1.1 in section
"Conformance Type 1: ITS Markup Declarations" [1]:

"At least one of the following MUST be in the schema:
- rules element
- one of the local ITS attributes
- span element
- ruby element"

Atom could use just the local its:dir attribute and be ITS conformant.

I noticed the values described in atompub-bidi-00 include "" and default to it, while XHTML 1.0, XHTML 2.0, and ITS do not have ""
and default to "ltr". Is there any specific reason to have "" and default to it?

[1]: http://www.w3.org/International/its/itstagset/itstagset.html#conformance-product-schema

Kind regards,
-yves