RE: Updated article: Two-letter or three-letter language codes

From: Stephen Deach <sdeach@adobe.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 07:58:45 -0700
To: Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, Misha Wolf <Misha.Wolf@reuters.com>, Stephen Deach <sdeach@adobe.com>, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Cc: www-international@w3.org, ltru@ietf.org

I just wanted to make sure this "shortest code" issue was considered
carefully.
   A lot of people I've talked to about internationalization issues over
the years simply had "assumed" that the 3-letter ISO codes superceded the
2-letter ones, or chose to use all 3-letter codes rather than a mix of 2 &
3 because it was easier to make it a fixed-length field.

I understand your goal is to eventually make this simpler, by eliminating
multiple formats for each subtoken and moving to a single registry/list. As
a general process I always try to accept ill-formed input, but emit
corrected output (since you pretty much have to grandfather all past formats).

At 2006.09.23-11:29(+0900), Martin Duerst wrote:
>Exactly. Codes should be converted at the boundaries to systems that
>can't handle anything else that three-letter codes. It has to be done
>one way, so it can as well be done both ways.
>
>Regards,   Martin.
>
>At 00:07 06/09/23, Misha Wolf wrote:
> >
> >That would be seriously broken.  It would encourage
> >people to violate BCP 47.
> >
> >Misha

---Steve Deach
    sdeach@adobe.com