Re: East Asian Emphasis Marks (Japanese bouten, etc)

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 18:17:43 -0500
To: Ken Lunde <lunde@adobe.com>

Ken Lunde wrote:
> All,
>
> In the Adobe-Japan1-x character collection, we map U+FE45 and U+FE46  to
> CIDs 12639 and 12640, respectively. In other words, we provide  separate
> glyphs than the punctuation marks they resemble. These  glyphs are
> intended for use as annotative marks, such as ruby. In  fact, the range
> of glyphs intended for annotative use are intended to  be scaled to a
> smaller size, typically 50% for text runs.

Could you explain that in a little more detail, please?

I take what you said to mean that
   - U+FE45 and U+FE46 have their own glyphs
   - these glyphs are intended to be scaled down to 50% of the text size
   - therefore in the font they are approximately twice the size of the
     comma rather than approximately the same size
   - therefore an application wishing to use U+FE45 as an emphasis mark
     should scale its glyph down by half before rendering it
Is that correct?

~fantasai