RE: Regular expressions should support \x{....} escapes

From: Michael Kay <mhk@mhk.me.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 16:02:46 -0000
To: "'Jeremy Carroll'" <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Cc: "'Bjoern Hoehrmann'" <derhoermi@gmx.net>, "'Martin Duerst'" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, <www-international@w3.org>

> >> http://www.w3.org/TR/charmod/#C073 has "Publicly
> interchanged content
> >> SHOULD NOT use codepoints in the private use area."
>
> Personally, I am tending to increasingly strict reading of
> SHOULDs and
> SHOULD NOTs. I feel that generic software should implement
> these as MUST
> and MUST NOT,

Well, this rule is phrased as a requirement on the content (and hence the
content author), not on the software. And I don't think the software has any
business knowing or asking who the content is being exchanged between and
making judgements as to whether it's a public interchange or not: it should
mind its own business. In fact, I'm fed up with software that tries to muck
about with my content, and I don't intend writing any that mucks about with
other people's.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/