Re: Pen-gesture keyboard for Hindi

From: Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 14:15:53 +0900
To: Mark Davis <mark.davis@icu-project.org>, Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Cc: www-international@w3.org, www-multimodal@w3.org

At 02:17 06/04/12, Mark Davis wrote:

 >It looks very overblown to me; saw a news report about "a process that
would require up to 1,000 keys using a traditional keyboard" which is
bizarre for Indic.

That range of number suggests that they are thinking about Hindi
in terms of syllables, treating each grapheme cluster as a unit.
In practice, there are about 1000-3000 such clusters in practical use.

But this is just a guess.

Regards,   Martin.

 >Mark
 >
 >Chris Lilley wrote:
 >> Hello ,
 >>
 >> I thought this might be interesting, partly for the I18n aspect and
partly for the pen-based, gesture modality of text entry.