Re: New article published: xml:lang in XML document schemas

From: Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@oucs.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 09:41:57 +0000
To: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
CC: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>, www-international@w3.org

Felix Sasaki wrote:

>  xml:lang is  defined in terms of RFC 3066, which encompasses two
> language subtags: for  language and for country codes. Suppose you
> want to put additional  constraints on the value of xml:lang, so that
> it allows only for a subset  of rfc 3066 values (e. g. only language
> codes, but not country codes).

It seems to me that you can't have it both ways. Either xml:lang is a
universal
attribute which is tied to RFC 3066 (or its sucessors), or its not. What
if your schema
defined xml:lang to accept only integers? How do you manage the
contradiction?

And what about xml:id? are we allowed to redefine the datatype of that??

Sebastian Rahtz