W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > October to December 2005

Re: Fwd: Re: Modern Equivalent Timezone

From: Mark Davis <mark.davis@icu-project.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 19:06:43 -0700
Message-ID: <43603633.8000607@icu-project.org>
To: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
CC: "public-i18n-core@w3.org" <public-i18n-core@w3.org>, www-international@w3.org

Not a problem at all.

Mark

Felix Sasaki wrote:

>
> Hello Mark,
>
> Sorry, I misunderstood.
>
> Felix
>
> On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 23:32:49 +0900, Mark Davis  
> <mark.davis@icu-project.org> wrote:
>
>>
>> In this review, we are only canvassing for certain information 
>> regarding  timezones in countries that have multiple timezones. India 
>> is one of the  lucky countries with only one.
>>
>> In this review, the offsets are not relevant; those are only given 
>> for  information -- they come from the TZ database (aka Olson 
>> database). Our  concern is the relative importance of the zones for 
>> translation.
>>
>> Mark
>>
>> Felix Sasaki wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Goutam,
>>>
>>> Thank you very much for the information. I am forwarding this mail 
>>> to  the  public-i18n-core list, since the question came from Mark 
>>> Davis,  who is on  that list.
>>>
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Felix
>>> ------- Forwarded message -------
>>> From: "Goutam Kumar Saha" <goutam.k.saha@cdackolkata.com>
>>> To: "Felix Sasaki" <fsasaki@w3.org>
>>> Cc: public-i18n-its@w3.org
>>> Subject: Re: Modern Equivalent Timezone
>>> Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 22:32:37 +0900
>>>
>>> Dear Felix,
>>> Kindly note the following:
>>> 1.India Time - GMT +5.5 does not operate Daylight-Saving Time.
>>> 2.  Time zone abbreviation: I,     Full name is:  "India Time Zone"
>>> 3. Time zone offset: UTC + 9 hoursI is 9 hours ahead of 
>>> Coordinated   Universal Time (UTC)
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>> Regards,
>>> Goutam Kumar Saha
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> ----- Original Message -----
>>> From: "Felix Sasaki" <fsasaki@w3.org>
>>> To: "Goutam Kumar Saha" <goutam.k.saha@cdackolkata.com>
>>> Cc: <public-i18n-its@w3.org>; <public-i18n-core@w3.org>
>>> Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 6:37 PM
>>> Subject: Re: Modern Equivalent Timezone
>>>
>>>
>>>> On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 14:36:24 +0900, Goutam Kumar Saha
>>>> <goutam.k.saha@cdackolkata.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> > Dear Felix,
>>>> > Reference to Unicode Consortium's topic on "Modern Equivalent   
>>>> Timezone,"
>>>> > I would like to inform you that the offset from GMT in India is 
>>>> +5  1/2  ,
>>>> > but no "daylight savings changes" concept exists in India.
>>>> > Thanking you.
>>>> > Regards,
>>>> > Goutam Kumar Saha
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Hello Goutam,
>>>>
>>>> Thank you very much for your mail. Maybe I did not formulate the right
>>>> question, but I wanted to ask something else: Is there a name for the
>>>> timezone in india? For example you have Eastern daylight time for 
>>>> the   East
>>>> Coast of the USA, or Central European Summer Time for parts of Europe.
>>>>
>>>> Best regards,
>>>>
>>>> Felix
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> *****************************************
>>>> This mail is checked by Vexira Antivirus
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
>>>
>>>
>>> Dear Felix,
>>> Kindly note the following: 1.India Time - GMT +5.5 does not operate  
>>> Daylight-Saving Time.
>>> 2.  Time zone abbreviation: I,     Full name is:  "India Time Zone"  
>>> 3.  Time zone offset: UTC + 9 hoursI is 9 hours ahead of 
>>> Coordinated  Universal Time (UTC)
>>>  Thanks.
>>> Regards,
>>> Goutam Kumar Saha
>>>    ----- Original Message -----
>>> From: "Felix Sasaki" <fsasaki@w3.org <mailto:fsasaki@w3.org>>
>>> To: "Goutam Kumar Saha" <goutam.k.saha@cdackolkata.com  
>>> <mailto:goutam.k.saha@cdackolkata.com>>
>>> Cc: <public-i18n-its@w3.org <mailto:public-i18n-its@w3.org>>;  
>>> <public-i18n-core@w3.org <mailto:public-i18n-core@w3.org>>
>>> Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 6:37 PM
>>> Subject: Re: Modern Equivalent Timezone
>>>
>>> > On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 14:36:24 +0900, Goutam Kumar Saha >  
>>> <goutam.k.saha@cdackolkata.com 
>>> <mailto:goutam.k.saha@cdackolkata.com>>  wrote:
>>> >
>>> > > Dear Felix,
>>> > > Reference to Unicode Consortium's topic on "Modern Equivalent  
>>> Timezone," > > I would like to inform you that the offset from GMT 
>>> in  India is +5 1/2 , > > but no "daylight savings changes" concept 
>>> exists  in India.
>>> > > Thanking you.
>>> > > Regards,
>>> > > Goutam Kumar Saha
>>> >
>>> >
>>> > Hello Goutam,
>>> >
>>> > Thank you very much for your mail. Maybe I did not formulate the  
>>> right > question, but I wanted to ask something else: Is there a 
>>> name  for the > timezone in india? For example you have Eastern 
>>> daylight time  for the East > Coast of the USA, or Central European 
>>> Summer Time for  parts of Europe.
>>> >
>>> > Best regards,
>>> >
>>> > Felix
>>> >
>>> >
>>> > *****************************************
>>> > This mail is checked by Vexira Antivirus
>>> >
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Received on Thursday, 27 October 2005 02:06:54 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 2 June 2009 19:17:06 GMT