W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > October to December 2005

Re: Fwd: Re: Modern Equivalent Timezone

From: Mark Davis <mark.davis@icu-project.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 07:32:49 -0700
Message-ID: <435F9391.1000408@icu-project.org>
To: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
CC: "public-i18n-core@w3.org" <public-i18n-core@w3.org>, www-international@w3.org

In this review, we are only canvassing for certain information regarding 
timezones in countries that have multiple timezones. India is one of the 
lucky countries with only one.

In this review, the offsets are not relevant; those are only given for 
information -- they come from the TZ database (aka Olson database). Our 
concern is the relative importance of the zones for translation.

Mark

Felix Sasaki wrote:

> Hello Goutam,
>
> Thank you very much for the information. I am forwarding this mail to 
> the  public-i18n-core list, since the question came from Mark Davis, 
> who is on  that list.
>
>
> Best regards,
>
> Felix
> ------- Forwarded message -------
> From: "Goutam Kumar Saha" <goutam.k.saha@cdackolkata.com>
> To: "Felix Sasaki" <fsasaki@w3.org>
> Cc: public-i18n-its@w3.org
> Subject: Re: Modern Equivalent Timezone
> Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 22:32:37 +0900
>
> Dear Felix,
> Kindly note the following:
> 1.India Time - GMT +5.5 does not operate Daylight-Saving Time.
> 2.  Time zone abbreviation: I,     Full name is:  "India Time Zone"
> 3. Time zone offset: UTC + 9 hoursI is 9 hours ahead of Coordinated  
> Universal Time (UTC)
>
> Thanks.
> Regards,
> Goutam Kumar Saha
>
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Felix Sasaki" <fsasaki@w3.org>
> To: "Goutam Kumar Saha" <goutam.k.saha@cdackolkata.com>
> Cc: <public-i18n-its@w3.org>; <public-i18n-core@w3.org>
> Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 6:37 PM
> Subject: Re: Modern Equivalent Timezone
>
>
>> On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 14:36:24 +0900, Goutam Kumar Saha
>> <goutam.k.saha@cdackolkata.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Dear Felix,
>> > Reference to Unicode Consortium's topic on "Modern Equivalent  
>> Timezone,"
>> > I would like to inform you that the offset from GMT in India is +5 
>> 1/2  ,
>> > but no "daylight savings changes" concept exists in India.
>> > Thanking you.
>> > Regards,
>> > Goutam Kumar Saha
>>
>>
>> Hello Goutam,
>>
>> Thank you very much for your mail. Maybe I did not formulate the right
>> question, but I wanted to ask something else: Is there a name for the
>> timezone in india? For example you have Eastern daylight time for 
>> the  East
>> Coast of the USA, or Central European Summer Time for parts of Europe.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Felix
>>
>>
>> *****************************************
>> This mail is checked by Vexira Antivirus
>>
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Dear Felix,
> Kindly note the following: 
> 1.India Time - GMT +5.5 does not operate Daylight-Saving Time.
> 2.  Time zone abbreviation: I,     Full name is:  "India Time Zone"  
> 3. Time zone offset: UTC + 9 hoursI is 9 hours ahead of Coordinated 
> Universal Time (UTC)
>  
> Thanks.
> Regards,
> Goutam Kumar Saha
>   
>
>  
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Felix Sasaki" <fsasaki@w3.org <mailto:fsasaki@w3.org>>
> To: "Goutam Kumar Saha" <goutam.k.saha@cdackolkata.com 
> <mailto:goutam.k.saha@cdackolkata.com>>
> Cc: <public-i18n-its@w3.org <mailto:public-i18n-its@w3.org>>; 
> <public-i18n-core@w3.org <mailto:public-i18n-core@w3.org>>
> Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 6:37 PM
> Subject: Re: Modern Equivalent Timezone
>
> > On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 14:36:24 +0900, Goutam Kumar Saha 
> > <goutam.k.saha@cdackolkata.com 
> <mailto:goutam.k.saha@cdackolkata.com>> wrote:
> >
> > > Dear Felix,
> > > Reference to Unicode Consortium's topic on "Modern Equivalent 
> Timezone," 
> > > I would like to inform you that the offset from GMT in India is +5 
> 1/2 , 
> > > but no "daylight savings changes" concept exists in India.
> > > Thanking you.
> > > Regards,
> > > Goutam Kumar Saha
> >
> >
> > Hello Goutam,
> >
> > Thank you very much for your mail. Maybe I did not formulate the right 
> > question, but I wanted to ask something else: Is there a name for the 
> > timezone in india? For example you have Eastern daylight time for 
> the East 
> > Coast of the USA, or Central European Summer Time for parts of Europe.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Felix
> >
> >
> > *****************************************
> > This mail is checked by Vexira Antivirus
> > 
Received on Wednesday, 26 October 2005 14:33:20 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 2 June 2009 19:17:06 GMT