Re: Comments on Authoring Techs for XHTML & HTML I18N

Since xml:lang attributes were inherited from parents, there was a need in
RDF to specify that the value should not be inherited.
What I pulled up with a quick search, was:
http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-syntax-grammar/#section-Syntax-languages

The xml:lang="" form is used to indicate absence of language identifier.

tex

Martin Duerst wrote:

> At 13:07 05/09/21, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
>  >
>  >* Martin Duerst wrote:
>  >> >Technique 1 or 8: What would you recommend for content that has no
>  >>natural language, e.g. type samples that include Latin, Greek and Cyrillic
>  >>characters? (Joe Clark brought this issue to the attention of the WCAG WG:
>  >>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2005AprJun/0144.html.)
>  >>
>  >>Use lang='' / xml:lang='', i.e. the empty string.
>  >
>  >Note that this is not allowed in HTML or XHTML. Using "und" is allowed.
>
> Besides the point brought up by Tex, HTML4
> was still using RFC 1766 the last time I looked, which
> excludes a lot of tags for perfectly fine languages,
> and it will exclude more once RFC 3066bis is approved.
> This clearly doesn't make sense. The DTD of course
> allows an empty lang field, so anything with lang=''
> is perfectly valid HTML4.
>
> As for XHTML, there are a lot of versions, and I have only
> checked 1.0, but for that case, Section C9 (at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/REC-xhtml1-20020801/#C_7) says:
>
>      Use both the lang and xml:lang attributes when specifying the
>      language of an element. The value of the xml:lang attribute
>      takes precedence.
>
> As xml:lang allows an empty string (by virtue of the XML REC
> allowing it explicitly, just for the purpose described by
> Christophe), and XHTML doesn't disallow it, we are
> perfectly fine for XHTML!
>
> Regards,    Martin.

Making e-Business Work Around the World