Re: Comments on Authoring Techs for XHTML & HTML I18N

From: Tex Texin <tex@xencraft.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 23:06:10 -0700
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
CC: Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, Christophe Strobbe <christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be>, www-international@w3.org

However, that is not accurate.
When the language is undefined, it implies that it still is a language, but
there isn't a tag for it.
(Unknown, would imply it is a language, but we don't know which one.)
However, as Joe Clark's mail indicated, there isn't a way to say that you
know the text specifically is not a language.

So, type samples, program code, part numbers, could all benefit from a code
indicating they are not confroming to a language.

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> * Martin Duerst wrote:
> > >Technique 1 or 8: What would you recommend for content that has no
> >natural language, e.g. type samples that include Latin, Greek and Cyrillic
> >characters? (Joe Clark brought this issue to the attention of the WCAG WG:
> >http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2005AprJun/0144.html.)
> >
> >Use lang='' / xml:lang='', i.e. the empty string.
>
> Note that this is not allowed in HTML or XHTML. Using "und" is allowed.
> --
> Björn Höhrmann · mailto:bjoern@hoehrmann.de · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
> Weinh. Str. 22 · Telefon: +49(0)621/4309674 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
> 68309 Mannheim · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.websitedev.de/