Re: New article for REVIEW: Upgrading from language-specific legacy encoding to Unicode encoding

As well as the cases that Mark mentions where one visual sequence could
map to more than one logical sequence, there are visual sequences that
have no logical equivalent (unless control characters are inserted), e.g.

CBA123

In Gecko we work round this problem by splitting the text into runs so
that each run contains characters with the same inherent directionality.
When displaying a Visual Hebrew document on platforms where the
rendering layer expects logical Hebrew, we then simply reverse the
hebrew runs before sending them to the platform API. The platform then
reverses them back to the original visual order.

Simon