Re: Fw: FYI .. New article for REVIEW: xml:lang in XML document schemas

Thanks to Felix and Addison for your responses.

I am in no way an expert on this specific issue and I don't have the
necessary background around it, so please forgive my naive questions.

One thing I wasn't clear about was the real intent of this article.
Whether it solely targets schema/xml authors to help them use xml:lang
wisely, or this is the first step towards helping the industry (including
existing standards) move to a state where xml:lang is *properly* handled?

If it's the former (and the article conveys such intent clearly), then any
wording would seem OK to me (given my background). But my fear is that
it's not that simple. From your responses, I get the feeling that you are
not entirely happy about what's going on in Infoset (and possibly
schema?). From reading the article, I get the feeling that some readers
may wish more to be done. So I think it's important to clarify the
intent/scope of this article, as well as the intent/scope
Sorry I can't provide an alternative wording. (I'm not even an expert in
English. :p) But something along the lines of what Addison said would be a
good start:

> that a processor (capable of) interpreting xml:lang in some useful way
> should apply it over the entire scope of the element, but that "normal"
> XML processing is not affected.

(and will/should not be affected.) So the essence is that xml:lang is
dealt with at a higher level than infoset.

BTW, my other comment was about the "inheritance" of xml:lang. I think
this needs some clarification as well. To accurately reflect the current
situation, we should make it clear that what's inherited is the semantics
of xml:lang, not the attribute (an AII in infoset) itself.

Thanks,
Sandy Gao
XML Parser Development, IBM Canada
(1-905) 413-3255
sandygao@ca.ibm.com

"Felix Sasaki" <fsasaki@w3.org>
08/19/2005 12:59 AM

"Addison Phillips" <addison.phillips@quest.com>, Uma
Umamaheswaran/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, www-international@w3.org
cc
ishida@w3.org, Sandy Gao/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp
Subject
Re: Fw: FYI .. New article for REVIEW: xml:lang in XML document schemas

I always thought that the problem the I18N WG addressed is the word
"intent" in the XML 1.0 spec and the non-realization of this intention in
the infoset spec(s). I know that the FAQ is about the fact that xml:lang
is not supposed to be used as a language-as-a-value mechanism, but it
might be worth to note the xml 1.0 vs. infoset problem, with a reference
to the two specs. And that is what Sandy's comment (I guess) and my
(obviously unclear) try of a rewording was about. A reference to the
lang() fuction of QT is of course no solution to the language-as-a-value
purpose of lang values, so it seems to be misleading.

-- Felix