RE: New article for REVIEW: Using character entities and NCRs

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your comments. See  inline...

Choosing a question for these FAQs is a very complicated process. I agree
that these are good starting points for this article.  For now I think I
will add them to the topic index at
http://www.w3.org/International/resource-index.html#charset , though we may
well develop more focused articles in the future.

> I would have found it more useful if the content were
> distributed under those three titles; In particular, the
> question that I find myself most interested in answering is
> how do I enter a very small number of characters that are (a)
> outside the set of characters that I normally use and (b) are
> not easily found on the character picker that comes with
> Windows. But, I do recognize that my usage might be special.

Not so special, and I think this would be worth a separate FAQ at some point
soon.  In the meantime you may find this of help, it has created a lot of
enthusiastic feedback:
http://people.w3.org/rishida/scripts/pickers/

> Finally, the first sentence is a little daunting; how about
> beginning, "XML (and  (X)HTML) have several "escapes" that
> allow XML documents to represent Unicode characters as a
> sequence of ASCII characters. These escapes include NCRs
> (Numeric Character References) and character entities."

After a lot of playing around, I changed it to:
"You can use a character escape to represent any Unicode character in XML or
(X)HTML using only ASCII characters. NCRs (Numeric Character References) and
character entities are types of character escape. "

Cheers,
RI