RE: Primary Language in HTML, XHTML and XML

From: M.T. Carrasco Benitez <mtcarrascob@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 20:19:54 +0000 (GMT)
To: www-international@w3.org

> > [carrasco]
> > I not sure if I understand the comment, please could you elaborate
> ?
>
> If you go to http://example.net/somepath/something and get served the
> English HTML version obtained from something.en.html the fact that
> language information is encoded in the filename is not visible
> to you as a web user, it's a mere implementation detail.

As a web user, I want to have the document and the Content-Language
with the primary language(s).

As a webmaster, I have to arrange that the server get somehow the
primary language(s); e.g.

 - <meta http-equiv=”Content-Language”     (internal)
 - variant file                            (external)
 - filename                                (external)

Hence the proposal for allowing the specification of the language also
in the filename.

It is a common practice to name the set of files with the different
linguistic versions as:

 foo.en.html
 foo.es.html
 foo.fr.html

If the language is specified internally as

the webmaster must probably arrange another mechanism (e.g., variant
file, file extension) to tell the server what to put in the
Content-Language.

Regards
Tomas