Re: IDN problem.... :(

From: Adam Twardoch <list.adam@twardoch.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:40:06 +0900
To: www-international@w3.org

>I disagree. There are plenty of cases in which scripts are mixed naturally
>in languages that use non-Latin scripts. For example, many languages
>use the Latin digits in preference to native script digits. Should we
>allow the Latin digits into a non-ASCII domain name? Oh, the slippery
>slope...

These are not "Latin digits". The European digits are shared among scripts.

>For that matter, I can construct a perfect "paypal" string using ONLY
>Cyrillic letters. Restrictions to one script doesn't prevent the homograph
>attack. It just requires one to be more clever.
>
>U+0440 U+0430 U+0443 U+0440 U+0430 U+04C0 looks just as good in my
>browser...

To my, it looks like "paypaI" and not like "paypal". This is a completely
different sort of spoof. You can also register a domain name "paypaI.com"
(i.e. "paypai.com", using Latin letters), or "rnicrosoft.com" but this id a
different pair of shoes than characters that have different codes but have
identical visual appearance.

A.