[Fwd: [Moderator Action] Re: Arabic letters separated by markup]

Forwarded message 1

  • From: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 22:38:14 +0000
  • Subject: [Moderator Action] Re: Arabic letters separated by markup
  • To: Mark Davis <mark.davis@jtcsv.com>
Mark Davis wrote:

> It is always possible to replace a ligature by a sequence of shapes which,
> when put together, form the ligature shape.

Yes, although I can think of some traditional Greek ligatures that would be hard to break
into shape sequences that obviously correspond to the underlying characters. Knowing which
parts of a Latin fi ligature correspond to which underlying characters, and hence which
might be rendered as separate and independently coloured shaped, is not difficult.
Something like the attached graphic is trickier.

John Hudson

--

Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
Vancouver, BC        tiro@tiro.com

Currently reading:
Truth and tolerance, by Benedict XVI, Cardinal Ratzinger as was
War (revised edition), by Gwynne Dyer