Re: Language Identifier List Criteria

Mark Davis wrote:

>You keep expressing this in a counterproductive way. The language tag
>'de-AT' is reasonably defined: German as used in Austria.

Political borders don$BCU(B always run along language variations.
A language-region tag is generally understood as the current official
standard of the language in the corresponding country.

The tag "de-AT" clearly does not mean *any* German as used in Austria, it
refers to Austrian Standard German.

For example, in the context of a spell checking software you may expect the
following:
- current official Austrian orthography ("neue amtliche Rechtschreibung"),
- as currently taught in Austrian schools,
- as defined in the Austrian Dictionary ("$B%h(Bsterreichisches W$B‹S(Bterbuch"),
- common practice in Austrian newspapers,
- etc.

In my opinion the list should include only tags for which such distinct
conventions exist (which is apparently not the case for de-LI).

Georg