Re: Language Identifier List Criteria

From: by way of Martin Duerst <gschweizer@gmx.at>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 11:11:56 +0900
To: www-international@w3.org

>Some languages are spoken in many countries, and the language is not
>distinctive in each country. I have started to accept suggestions as to
>which language-region codes do not represent a distinct language
>variation, and therefore are not recommended as tags, without good reason.

The criteria should be political rather than linguistic ones, as both the
ISO 639 language tags and the ISO 3166 country codes are based on
political agreement. Therefore I would not speak of "distict language
variations", but of distinct *official standards* (or at least distinct
conventions). Variations can be found everywhere (even within one
political region), whereas the same conventions can be followed by several