Re: Language Identifier List Criteria

From: by way of Martin Duerst <gschweizer@gmx.at>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 11:11:56 +0900
To: www-international@w3.org

>Some languages are spoken in many countries, and the language is not
>distinctive in each country. I have started to accept suggestions as to
>which language-region codes do not represent a distinct language
>variation, and therefore are not recommended as tags, without good reason.
http://www.i18nguy.com/unicode/language-identifiers.html

The criteria should be political rather than linguistic ones, as both the
ISO 639 language tags and the ISO 3166 country codes are based on
political agreement. Therefore I would not speak of "distict language
variations", but of distinct *official standards* (or at least distinct
conventions). Variations can be found everywhere (even within one
political region), whereas the same conventions can be followed by several
countries.