Re: Language Identifier List up for comments

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 08:42:19 -0500
To: Tex Texin <tex@xencraft.com>
Cc: IETF Languages <ietf-languages@iana.org>, www-international@w3.org

Tex Texin scripsit:

> 2) What to do about yiddish? It is spoken in many places. Any idea whether it
> is the same everywhere or not?

Yiddish for many years had no written standard, but now it does,
and almost everyone writing Yiddish has adopted it.  (The _Forverts_,
the weekly Yiddish newspaper of New York City, was about the last
holdout.)

> 3) I noted that for Chinese, these tags were suggested:
> zh-CN, zh-HK, zh-MO, zh-SG, zh-TW,
> zh-Hans, zh-Hans-CN, zh-Hans-SG,
> zh-Hant, zh-Hant-HK, zh-Hant-MO, zh-Hant-TW
>
> Since there are only two tags for CN, zh-CN and zh-hans-CN, would those who
> argue for not overdifferentiating tags, recommend just the simpler zh-CN?

There are lots of zh-hant-CN documents, mostly historical but some
contemporary.

--
John Cowan  cowan@ccil.org  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths