Re: declaring language in html/xhtml

From: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 09:13:35 -0500
To: David Clarke <w3c@dragonthoughts.co.uk>
Cc: www-international@w3.org

David Clarke scripsit:

> Consider a parallel text, such as the www.dvla.gov.uk (which is dual
> English/Welsh)

Such a page plainly has no primary language.  If a local policy
says that all pages must be tagged with one, the ISO 639-2 and RFC 3066
tag "mul" is available.

> If I were a linguist that produced a page which was correct in both
> Australian English and British English, but not American English, how
> should it be specified?

According to whatever is most reasonable and useful.  I know this is a
shovelling answer, but I can hardly see anything better.

--
"Do I contradict myself?                        John Cowan
Very well then, I contradict myself.            jcowan@reutershealth.com