Re: Language Identifier List up for comments

From: Elizabeth J. Pyatt <ejp10@psu.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:07:30 -0500
To: "A. Vine" <andrea.vine@Sun.COM>
Cc: www-international@w3.org

But now you are talking about differences in a script, not
differences in a language.

You can use either Simplified or Traditional Characters to write
Mandarin Chinese (and Traditional can be used for Cantonese - I don't
know about Simplified, per se, for Cantonese).

Previously, the language codes have been used to encode both script
and  language. I was assuming the characters embedded would convey
which script is being used.

In some ways, a Chinese text could represent several languages
depending on how it is formed. Are there script changes that happen
to write the different Chinese dialects on an everyday basis?

Elizabeth

--
Elizabeth J. Pyatt, Ph.D.

210 Rider Building II