Re: declaring language in html/xhtml

(apologies for duplication, I needed to resend)
I have created a web page from John's list.
The page will probably go up before I can add all of the suggestions offered.
We can review the list entries and I will add the suggestions as time allows
and the list solidifies.

I'll post the URL for the list, after John gets a chance to review what I have
done with it.
tex

Martin Duerst wrote:

> At 22:33 04/12/13, John Cowan wrote:
>
>  >I have such a list, have had it for years, and have never been able
>  >to get anyone to review it.  Specifically it is a list of xx-yy and
>  >xxx-yy combinations that reflect the Ethnologue's information on
>  >"national and official" languages of particular countries.
>  >
>  >I have excluded languages that are only national/official in a single
>  >country: thus Swedish is on the list (it is official in both Sweden
>  >and Finland, and in fact takes sharply divergent forms in the two
>  >countries), but Danish is not (official only in Denmark).
>
> I think whether a language is official or not in a certain country
> is not really relevant to whether to use the country designation or
> not. Whether the forms in each of the countries are actually
> significantly divergent (e.g. different grammar, orthography,
> different vocabulary) is what's relevant. Thus just taking
> the Ethnologue as a base doesn't give the right result.
>
> Also, any list, when published, should avoid the impression that
> if it contains a two-part language code, that language always
> has to be used with a two-part code. For each language affected
> (e.g. en), there sure is a large number of examples where the
> difference doesn't matter, and in that case, using more than
> the language itself as a label would be wrong.
>
> Regards,    Martin.

Making e-Business Work Around the World