Re: declaring language in html/xhtml

From: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:26:34 -0500
To: Keld Jørn Simonsen <keld@dkuug.dk>
Cc: Tex Texin <tex@i18nguy.com>, www-international@w3.org, ietf-languages@alvestrand.no

Keld Jørn Simonsen scripsit:

> Hmm, Danish is an official language in Denmark, Greenland, the
> Faroe Islands, and an official minority language in the German state
> Schleswig-Holstein...

Ah, excellent.  This is the kind of review I've been looking for.
In fact it was a brain fart on my part to mention Danish here, as I
already show it as official in Denmark and Greenland.  I already list
es-US on the basis of Spanish being official in New Mexico (a state
of the US), so certainly da-DE is legitimate.  A better example of a
non-listed language would be Finnish (official only in Finland).

The languages currently on the list are:

Arabic, Bengali, Chamorro, Croatian, Danish, Dutch, English,
French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Korean, Lingala, Malay,
Mandarin Chinese, Portuguese, Serbian, Sindhi, Spanish, Swahili, Swati,
Swedish, Tamil, Tswana, Turkish, Urdu.

If anyone thinks that any languages should be added, please let me know.

--
One art / There is                      John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
No less / No more                       http://www.reutershealth.com